Weather

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Visiting the Doctor: A newcomer’s point of view

Trudy Reimer, Community Health Representative, Alberta Health Services

As I sit waiting to be called into the doctor’s office, I hold my youngest son in my arms while the older two won’t sit quietly or stay in the chairs as I’ve instructed. I wish I could have dropped them off with a relative or family friend, but my husband and I just moved here from Mexico three months ago. We’re alone and our nearest relative lives an hour’s drive away. 

My boys are starting to annoy the other people waiting to see the doctor. I quickly hush them and tell them to sit down and be quiet in our native tongue: Low German. I nervously fold my modest, homemade dress under my legs and tuck my hair underneath my head scarf. This is my first time seeing a doctor in Canada. I worry I won’t be able to explain that I need medication for my seizure disorder. I wish my friend who made the appointment would have been able to come speak for me, but she has kids of her own and doesn’t have time to travel all this way.


My name is finally called. I quickly gather my things just as my boys start arguing over a toy. We go into a small room. A nurse takes my blood pressure and asks a few questions. I sit and nod but she’s speaking too fast, and I don’t quite understand her. I don’t want to be rude so I nod my head and smile while trying to settle my boys. She leaves us alone to wait for the doctor.

When the doctor finally arrives, he smiles at me and starts typing on the computer. He asks my name. I answer. Then I think he asks me how I’m doing, so I smile and say good (there are a few things I’ve already learned about this new culture). He asks me why I’m here. I dig out the box with the medication I need and hand it to him. It’s in Spanish because I always bought it in Mexico; my doctor there told me that without it, my seizures will return. This doctor studies it for a minute and does a few things on his computer. Then he gestures with his hands and asks more questions. I think he’s asking how many I usually take. I say two and hold up two fingers in case I’m not saying it correctly. He looks a bit frustrated and I worry he’s getting angry with me. Then I think he asks when my seizures started, so I quickly say nine years and show him again with my fingers.

My boys are getting fussy and whiny again; I don’t want them to annoy the doctor so I promise I’ll buy them a treat if they behave. The doctor asks a few more questions and demonstrates with his body what my seizures look like, so I nod and say yes. He types on the computer again and prints a paper. He gives it to me and shows me the clinic and pharmacy where I need to take the paper.

Following his instructions, I give a lady my paper. She points to a chair so I wait, again. A few minutes later she says my name and gives me the medication. She shows me the bill and my stomach drops when I see the cost. I count out numerous bills and hand them to her. I worry how we’re going to pay all the bills this month. My husband has a job but doesn’t get paid much as a farm hand. We have so many expenses: rent, utilities and new car seats for the boys. On top of everything, we’re filling out papers to become Canadian Citizens, which is very costly. I pray and have faith that God will see us through.

If you are a member of the Low German Speaking Mennonite community or a community service provider who works with this population and would like more information or help communicating, please call me at 403-330-7552 or Tina Fielding at 403-308-8373.

Trudy Reimer is a Community Health Representative with Alberta Health Services who provides support to the Low German Speaking Mennonite community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Comments are moderated before being published. Please be civil.

Infinite Scroll