Weather

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Athlete of the day August 17, 2013: Kirk Thomson

Rodeo legend Kirk Thomson with CPRHF's Judi Wilson
Lundbreck's Kirk Thomson was honored with the prestigious Ranchman's Legendary Achievement award today, August 17 during the 2013 Pincher Creek Pro Rodeo.


Thomson went pro in 1975 after winning the amateur saddle bronc event, and retired in 1985. His contributions to rodeo continue. He's been acting as a chute boss for the Pincher Creek Rodeo for the past 8 years and has been nurturing upcoming talent along the way. He's also a valuable contributor to the sports program at Livingstone School in Lundbreck.

One of the criteria for the award is that the individual must have a "name has grown to become synonymous with the sport of rodeo".

That's Kirk Thomson.

Canadian Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame (CPRHF) director Judi Wilson made the official presentation as the large rodeo crowd cheered enthusiastically. "Kirk, it is with great pleasure that I'm going to present to you this recognition plaque," said Wilson. "It will honour your upcoming Ranchman's Legendary Achievement Award which is scheduled on October 19th at the Coast Plaza Hotel in Calgary. The banquet will offer you, as rodeo fans and your peers the opportunity to hear a lot more about Kirk's life, and his rodeo career."

"Congratulations Kirk. Thank you on behalf of rodeo for being such a great cowboy and great ambassador to our sport."

"I have to say that this was a complete shock to me when I heard about this," said Thomson. "I would like to thank the board for even considering me. I don't know who offered me up to them, but I want to thank them very much."

"It's been a great career. The best part of my whole career was just the people that I met, and got to be friends with, and work with. That was the highlight of my career. Thank you very much to the board and thank you all for being here."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Comments are moderated before being published. Please be civil.

Infinite Scroll