![]() |
| Reena Nerbas |
Dear Reena,
I am making a large batch of egg salad. What is the easiest way to remove the peel from hard boiled eggs? ~ Sam
Dear Sam,
After eggs are boiled; set them into a bowl of cold water and remove the peel while the eggs are submersed.
Dear Reena,
Any suggestions for getting rid of woodpeckers? They are waking us up early in the morning and very noisy. ~ Thanks, Jan
Dear Jan,
The sooner you can act the better before woodpeckers makes your home, their home. His mission, to find food. Begin by having your roof inspected for infestations of bugs. Next close any holes on the roof. Place aluminum flashing over the areas where the woodpeckers are pecking. Woodpeckers won’t like the new sound or the shininess of the metal. If this is not an option hang something shiny in the area such as aluminum pie plates, old C.D’s or Mylar balloons or Mylar tape. If shiny objects are too unsightly, cover the area with plastic netting.
Dear Reena,
Is there a quick and easy way to clean hard water deposits on a double stainless steel sink? I guess I have been so busy that I didn’t realize till now how bad it looks! If I can get it cleaned up, in the future I will have to make a habit of wiping it dry each night to prevent this from reoccurring. Thanks so much for your help! ~ Melvin
Dear Melvin,
Thoroughly clean the sink using an abrasive pad, dish soap and water. Wipe the inside with olive oil to leave your sink looking like new!
Hi Reena,
I wonder if I can use Resolve in my dishwasher to combat glasses from getting foggy. I use it in the clothes washer to keep the drains clean. ~ Nancy
Dear Nancy,
I have never used Resolve in the dishwasher to reduce etching. Typically etching or fogginess occurs due to one of the following reasons; too much detergent, lack of rinse aid, overloaded dishwasher, water temperature too hot, lack of water softener on hard water systems or the detergent is not compatible with the machine.
To remove mild etching, head to the nearest pharmacy and ask for citric acid. Put glasses into the dishwasher and add citric acid to the soap dispenser. Run the cycle as usual and if the etching stays it is likely permanent. You can also soak the glasses in vinegar and rub them with fine steel wool. Don’t get too excited if at first the glasses look brand new because the etching may return when the glasses dry.
From people with etching challenges, I have heard positive results regarding Phosphate Free Palmolive Gel Dishwasher Detergent (lemon splash scent). However you may need to experiment with a few different brands. Norwex sells a green ball that sits on the top rack of dishwashers, which is made to reduce etching on dishes.
Dear Reena,
What is the easiest way to remove ticks from skin? ~ Helen
Dear Helen,
To remove ticks apply a glob of liquid hand soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick for 20 seconds and apparently the tick sticks to the cotton ball. If however you do have to remove the tick, turn it counter clockwise.
Creepy Trivia: It’s true tick season is here and those hardy critters can live as long as 200 days without consuming food or water.
Feedback from Reader Who Cares
Dear Reena,
I would like to share with you the easiest and best tasting chicken wings I have ever had. Pour your favorite barbeque sauce into a plastic sealable bag. Add uncooked chicken wings. Close bag and shake until all pieces are coated. Grill on medium 10 mins. per side or until juices run clear. Submitted by: Francis
I enjoy your questions and tips, keep them coming. Missed a column? Can’t remember a solution? Need a speaker for an upcoming event? Check out my brand new videos/blog/website: reena.ca.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Comments are moderated before being published. Please be civil.