Weather

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

MD of Pincher Creek by-election candidate Jacques Thouin

Chris Davis, Pincher Creek Voice

Jacques Thouin at his Beaver Mines home
C. Davis photo
Jacques Thouin is co-owner of the Beaver Mines General Store.  He is one of two declared candidates for the recently vacated Division 3 seat on the MD of Pincher Creek No. 9 Council.  Thouin has been a resident of Beaver Mines since 2006 or 2007.  He has been passionately involved in attempts to prevent logging of the Castle Crown area south of Beaver Mines.  He made a failed bid for the Division 3 Councillor's chair in the last election.  According to Thouin he has a degree in Agriculture and "a lifetime of experience in farming".




Interview with Jacques Thouin:


Why are you running?

"I just want to give back to the community what I have received.  I am retired now, and I want to help the community. I want to look into the logging situation, the water and sewer situation in Beaver Mines, and a few other things.  The tourism industry is important to me.  I want to promote small businesses.  I think it's great what the Town of Pincher Creek did with the recent trade fair.  It will bring small business to the Town and the MD.
I would like to see more small business cater to the tourism industry.  Bed and Breakfasts, a few other stores.  I would also like to see the Castle Crown land legislated as a Wilderness park. The MD has some influence in government.
I firmly believe that the majority of the people within the MD want better control over the Castle Crown land.  It's our land.
There doesn't seem to be any control of the headwaters of the Castle which is so important.  It's the most important thing.  We supply for everybody southeast of us, the quality and quantity of water we are responsible for.  It's been proven that since 1924, all of the major forest fires started in clear cuts."

Governance experience?

"I was on the No committee during the referendum for Quebec separation."

Where do you stand on the Fire Hall in Beaver Mines issue?

"I don't like the location where they are going to build it.  Why is it not right  on the highway, where it's easily accessible?  Something doesn't make sense there to me.
Apparently we're going to get a new fire truck, which is the old fire truck from Lundbreck.  It won't fit into our fire hall, therefore, we have to build a new fire hall, according to the MD.
So, the whole thing seems a little bit funny to me.  I would like to get more information on that.  I want to know whats happening, and I want the public to be aware of what is going on in the MD.  Why have they bought this land for the fire hall, instead of somewhere else?"

Retirees and services? 

"The MD is changing and more and more people are retiring.  They want services and the roads well upkept."   

Where does ranching fit in?

"The most important thing is the ranching, to preserve it and promote it.  I think it's very important."  
If you win?

"It will give me a great practice run.  People say 'What are you going to do on Council?' and I say 'Honestly, the first year I intend to sit down and shut up... and learn'." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Comments are moderated before being published. Please be civil.

Infinite Scroll